Saturday 29 October 2016

Bite the Bullet- Connecting essay 1

Photographer Image- Aleksandra Kimbo


Artist Image- Andy Warhol


My Image


This image focuses on physically altering specific areas of colourisation in order to mimic the style of the pop art era.  This style is somewhat surreal as it challenges the viewers notions of what an item is supposed to look like.  I feel that the use of a yellow backdrop to  photograph a banana on was a good stylistic choice as it means the the majority of the banana blends in whilst the section that has been painted pink contrasts heavily drawing the viewers eye to the altered area specifically.  A similar effect has been achieved throughout the use of red nails as it helps to make the subject stand out against the images  background.  The framing of the banana is interesting as whilst it is central it does not entirely fit into frame this limits the amount of empty space in the image and gives it a more interesting appearance.

Warhol's image is that of Marilyn Monroe and was one of his most famous works of art due to the combination of his striking style and the iconic subject he used.  This print of Marilyn is particularly interesting as various versions of the print exist with different colourisation leading to them being displayed in numerous different configurations in galleries with their bright contrasting colours creating an aesthetically pleasing arrangement however they are presented.

My image is related to these works through the varied use of colours incorporated in the image as well as the stacking method of presentation used which was widely incorporated by Warhol throughout his works.  I choose to keep the plate of spaghetti in its natural colourisation through the use of the colour select tool in order to mimic the way that physical photography was used in Kimbo's series to alter the colour of a specific area of the banana.  I feel that the use of selective colourisation also helped to draw the viewers eye to the shot gun shells amongst the spaghetti and highlights the reason for the shoots name "Bite the Bullet".

If I were to recreate this series I would consider shooting at a closer range as I feel that this may achieve a more striking and emotive response.  I would also consider shooting in macro if I were to shoot close up as I feel that that would provide a higher level of detail.  It is unlikely that I would shoot in high key again as I feel that the effect achieved was overly stark and unnecessary.

Overall I feel that this shoot was a success as I created a number of striking and engaging images.  I am particularly happy that I was able to tie in a pop art artist as this is one of my preferred artistic eras.

No comments:

Post a Comment